What is green building?
Green building, or sustainable design, is the practice of increasing the energy, water, and material efficiency of our buildings and their sites. Green building benefits our communities by reducing impacts on human health and the environment. Green-building concepts extend beyond the walls of buildings and include site planning, community and land-use planning issues as well. Green practices are environmentally responsible and resource-efficient throughout the design and development of homes and business buildings. Green building comes with the same durability and longevity as traditional building.
Why is green building important?
The growth and development of our communities has a large impact on our natural environment. Manufacturing, design, construction and operation of buildings are responsible for the consumption of many of our natural resources, so maximizing efficiency and sustainability in this industry is essential to our community well-being.
From the siting process to design implementation, including maintenance and deconstruction, Green Built Alliance works diligently to enhance the communities well-being.
In the United States, buildings account for:
- 39% of total energy use
- 68% of total electricity consumption
- 30% of landfill waste
- 38% of carbon dioxide emissions
- 12% of total water consumption
Environmental benefits of green building:
- Enhance and protect biodiversity and ecosystems
- Improve air and water quality
- Reduce waste streams
- Conserve and restore natural resources
Economic benefits of green building:
- Reduce operating costs
- Improve occupant productivity
- Enhance asset value and profits
- Optimize life-cycle economic performance
Social benefits of green building:
- Enhance occupant health and comfort
- Improve indoor air quality
- Minimize strain on local utility infrastructure
- Improve overall quality of life
Statistics and benefits overview courtesy of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
Green Building Programs
Green Building Resources
We host a wealth of materials to support you in green building. Our Resource Library offers many links to resources by category and our Magazine/Directory offers an annual publication with useful articles written by our members and staff.