Apply for Free Energy-Efficiency Services in Buncombe County, NC


We work with trained Volunteers to provide free energy-efficiency services, assessments, and retrofits for low-income households in Buncombe County, NC to save them money on their energy bills. We have served over 1,000 homes and never charged a penny. We are funded by the City of Asheville, Buncombe County, Duke Energy, grants, private donations, and the good work of our volunteer corps. We also provide clients with educational resources and referrals to other programs. To learn more about what we do please check out our About page.

If you are a Buncombe County resident with limited income and have high energy bills, we are here for you. If there’s an issue we can’t fix, we might be able to find the help you need.

Energy Savings Qualification Requirements

In order to QUALIFYyou must meet all of the following 3 requirements:

Rent or own a mobile or single-family home in Buncombe County. 

We are unable to serve multifamily units (apartments/condos).

Household Income
must be at or below
200% of Federal
Poverty Guidelines:

1 person household:      $30,120
2 person household:      $40,880
3 person household:      $51,640
4 person household:      $62,400
5 person household:      $73,160
6 person household:      $83,920
7 person household:      $94,680
8 person household:      $105,440

Each Additional Person $10,760
The levels above reflect 2023 Federal Poverty Levels.

Provide total household income, at least ONE proof of income for each adult household member

  • Social Security Award Letter (most recent)
  • Disability Award Letter (most recent)
  • One month’s worth of income (2 or 4 pay stubs)
  • Latest Annual Income Tax Return
  • W-2
  • Medicaid
  • IF Unemployed: Statement of No Documented Income

***We DO NOT require a social security number***

Apply for Energy Savings

To apply, just fill out this form.

If you need more information or have questions please email or or call us at 828.585.4492 x1 (english) x3 (español).

AFTER you are served, please fill out our Client Satisfaction Survey!


Name *


Phone *

(We only serve Buncombe County)
(We only serve NC)